In 1999 ArchitectureWorks began renovations of the old Birmingham Publishing Company Building Complex in downtown Birmingham – two 1920′s buildings adjoined by a 1950′s infill building. The design-build effort demolished the 1950′s building to create a courtyard connecting the two remaining buildings, which would become SawWorks and the ArchitectureWorks office.
In SawWorks, existing brick walls, steel trusses and large steel windows were refurbished and kept intact. A new mezzanine loft was added enclosing a meeting room below and a loft apartment above. Interior finishes maintained the building’s industrial character providing an open, durable space.
Ever since ArchitectureWorks expanded its studio space into the adjacent building in 2001, SawWorks has served as a community and non-profit meeting space, a collaborative venue for charrettes, and a home and work space for resident artists. Community groups such as SpeakFirst, Cahaba River Society, Birmingham-Southern College Hess Fellows, AIA dreamArchitecture, among many others have used the studio for regular meetings and events in recent years.
2000 – Merit Award, Birmingham AIA